[Cyber-rights] Fwd: facebook

Jan Reister Jan.Reister at unimi.it
Mon Oct 12 11:54:36 CEST 2009

Il 10/10/2009 22:32, atizio ha scritto:
> piuttosto, ma possibile che non ci sia un modo per creare da noi un
> facebukke libero e sicuro, uno strumento alternativo

Per esempio Crabgrass[1], attualmente in alpha. Qualcuno ne sa qualcosa
di più?

Jan

[1] http://dev.riseup.net/crabgrass/

Crabgrass

We are developing a social networking web application called Crabgrass.
Designed for social movements working for social justice, Crabgrass will
consist of tools which allow people to connect, collaborate, and
organize in new ways and with increased efficiency. In particular, we
aim to help groups to communicate securely, network with other groups,
and make decisions in a way that is easy to understand, transparent, and
directly democratic. Where traditional social networking is about
connecting individuals, Crabgrass is social networking to facilitate
network organizing.

Crabgrass is Free Software distributed under the GNU General Public
License. It is written in Ruby on Rails.

Why another social networking site?
While social movements have grown more adept at using the web to
communicate publicly, we are still mostly using inadequate tools to
communicate amongst ourselves. Most groups rely heavily on email, lists,
and wikis—but these tools are not suited for the complexity of
relationships that activist organizations face in the real world.

There are many existing social networking websites out there. However,
these offerings are geared toward the needs of advertisers or informal
social groups. They are not suitable for organizing work. There are also
many existing web services for group collaboration. These sites are
typically designed for small businesses and do not match the needs of
movement organizations.

Project status
We are currently in early alpha testing. Write us for information on
becoming a tester and developer.