[aha] Fwd: NOMADS EAST WEST at MEIAC

eO eo_call at ecn.org
Mon Oct 6 10:33:28 CEST 2008

Inizio messaggio inoltrato:

> Da: "montsejoseba" <info at montsearbelojosebafranco.com>
> Data: 03 ottobre 2008 18:06:37 GMT+02:00
> A: "montsejoseba" <info at montsearbelojosebafranco.com>
> Oggetto: NOMADS EAST WEST at MEIAC

by Montse Arbelo and Joseba Franco
  from 18th september to 2sd november of 2008

  MEIAC
  MUSEO EXTREMEÑO E IBEROAMERICANO DE ARTE CONTEMPORANEO
  C/ Virgen de Guadalupe, 7. Badajoz

  www.meiac.es

NOMADAS. East - West

  Since the earliest humans stood upright millions of years ago,
impelled by curiosity and the urge to find out what lay beyond the
horizon, our capacity for imagination has never stopped growing. That
impulse was a revolution for the entire species. It implied
formulating an abstraction, thinking it through and setting out to
find it - a new dynamic that changed the future of humankind. That's
how we've invented the world, by naming it.

With our laptops and still and video cameras, we wander through a
world full of contradictions, sharing and assimilating cultures, and
learning human biodiversity on the streets. Regardless of skin
colour, language, culture, economic status and any other
differentiation factor we could come up with, we confirm that we are
more similar than we are different.

With East - West, we want to explore this time that gives coherence
to all human forms of expression, in the East and the West, through
the overall patterns on which myths and reality have been
constructed. While there may be no match for transversality in our
day and age, the transubstantiation of reality into multiple and
varied forms allows us to see the vision of the East reflected in the
mirror of the West and vice versa. There are no certainties and no
clear boundaries exist.

NOMADAS 00-10 is a project that we began in 2000 and that stretches
over a decade. It is the frame of reference that connects all of our
projects, as well as a way of merging art with life. This path, which
disrupts borders and prejudices, fuels the way we see and understand
the world today, mixing cultures and experiences, smells and tastes.
The aim of this journey is to experience all the countries in the
world by organising exhibitions and conferences and working on
projects with transnational groups in order to create collaborative
links with artists and institutions, cultural agents and different
societies.

The concepts "East" and "West" represent much more than what our eyes
allow us to perceive. Only through the sum of all our senses can we
approach two worlds that are so seemingly distant and different from
each other. The collective imaginary takes us back to cultures that,
for millennia, have evolved in disparate ways. However, in today's
world it has become notoriously difficult to find a clear
differentiating line. The West has exported its lifestyle and
traditions all over the world, penetrating the East to such an extent
that, no matter how you look at it, a convergence of the futures of
both seems inescapable. Likewise, the East has become part of our
daily life in a multitude of ways: spirituality, culture, sports,
food, technology...

In an almost linear trajectory from New York to Tokyo, passing
through most European countries, China and the Philippines, we've
tried to capture the rhythm and daily life of the places visited.  It
has been a journey of over two years, which have allowed us to
assimilate and accept that we live in a single, complex and ever-
changing world with multiple realities.

As in a hall of mirrors, we've seen ourselves reflected in numerous
stories. We are actors and spectators both in a multi-polar world.
Imagination has been captured and expressed in over 50 hours of video
recordings and thousands of photographs, creating a mosaic, a puzzle
that we try to put in order.

www.meiac.es
  www.montsearbelojosebafranco.com/nomadas.htm
  email:info at montsearbelojosebafranco.com

  Created and Directed by: Montse Arbelo and Joseba Franco
  Edited: Centro de Cultura Contemporánea de Barcelona
  Original Music: Mandi Capote Demali.
  Produced by: CCCB and Montse Arbelo - Joseba Franco

This project travel to nacionals e internationals museums.